- Regularly clean your gutters and downspouts. The leaves will be falling very soon and your gutters/downspouts will fill up quickly if you don’t stay on top of cleaning them out. Water and your home are not friends and if the gutters aren’t in proper working order, water will end up in places it’s not supposed to be! Several clients have asked about gutter guards. I have not personally used them, but people seem to be split on the usefulness of them(welcome to the internet). I would recommend researching yourself and deciding if they are right for you and your property(there’s likely a goldilocks point between too many trees for them to be useful and not enough to justify cost).
- Clean and/or replace filters in your heating system. While we are sure you replace these every couple months like you are supposed to according to the box, sometimes we forget. Your AC has likely been running for a couple of months now and your filter has probably seen better days. Changing your filter helps your HVAC system “breath” better and could help with your indoor air quality as well!
- Trim your dead tree branches. It’s easier to tell which branches are dead while there are still leaves on the tree, so now is a great time to give your trees a nice trimming. You don’t want dead branches near your house come winter. Snow is heavy and dead branches break, this can cause damage to your home and can even be less than safe for pets and children playing in the snow.
- Check for pests. As the nights start getting colder, pests will be looking for a nice warm place to live, what better place than your wonderful home! Check your attic and crawl space of course, but pests LOVE living under your cabinets and appliances so be sure to check there as well. If you do find bugs, call a professional to help clean them out, they are creepy and gross so better to do it right the first time.
- CHANGE THE BATTERIES IN YOUR SMOKE DETECTORS AND CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS! Sorry for yelling, but this tip is the most important one on the list! These exist to save your life, your kids lives and your pets lives so don’t assume they are working properly. make sure they are! In fact, I’m gonna go change the batteries in all of mine right now!
We hope you had a wonderful summer!